It’s always fun to see when makers combine yarn with another craft; goes to show how versatile yarn crafts can really be. Seems like every year something new is coming out and designers are out there using their creativity to mix it up and come out with something new. Being able to use different mediums open up more doors for artists to come up with something that sets them apart from the rest of the herd. Our next guest here on Yarn Punk added to her crochet cup cozies and what is hot in the crafting world, pun intended. Let’s give a magical hello to Heather.
Welcome to Yarn Punk, Heather.
“My name is Heather Robyn and I’m the maker behind Robynmadewithlove. I’ve been crocheting for almost two years and I love experimenting with crochet and finding ways to incorporate crochet with other crafts. When I’m not crafting, I’m a full time mom and wife. My husband is very supportive of my experimenting with different crafts and encourages me to incorporate crochet with other mediums (like vinyl!)
Where can you find Heather?
You can also purchase a finished coffee cup cozy on her Etsy Shop: Here
Don’t Forget to Pin it For Later!
5.0 mm Hook
Worsted weight cotton yarn (peaches n creme, Lily Sugar n Cream are perfect)
HTV (heat transfer vinyl)
Tea Towel/ Teflon sheet
Ironing board/Heat Press Mat
Paper Cutting Machine (Cricut, Silhouette, or you can cut out whatever design you’d like yourself)
Weeding tools (if you do use a paper cutting machine)
Approximately: 50-60 yards
Skill level: Intermittent
Ch – Chain
SC – Single Crochet
Sl st – Slip Stitch
FO – Fasten Off
HTV – Heat Transfer Vinyl
- Chain 1 in beginning does not count as a stitch.
- All HTV has different heat settings, be sure to know what your setting is.
- Know whether your HTV is hot peel or cold peel (when to peel the plastic off)
- Cold peel/hot peel – hot peel vinyl needs to be peeled right after applying heat and a cold peel vinyl needs to be peeled after cooling for 45 seconds – 1 minute.
Round 1: Ch 33, sl st to first ch to make a circle, be sure to not twist the chain. (33 stitches)
Round 2: Ch 1, sc in each stitch around, sl st to first sc. (33 stitches)
Round 3-11: Ch 1, sc in each stitch around, sl st to first sc. FO and weave in ends. (33 stitches)
Applying Your HTV Design:
1. Once finished with the cozy, you can move on to the HTV design. I create my designs in the Cricut Design Space app. Once you have made your design, you can have your machine cut it out. (Or however you want to cut your design). I’ll be using this design and having my Cricut Maker cut the design out.
2. Next you’ll need to weed out whatever parts of the vinyl that are not part of the design.
3. Once you’re done weeding, you need to heat up your iron/heat press. Your vinyl has different heat settings so be sure to have that info ready when heating up your iron/Heat press.
4. Once ready, put your cozy on your ironing board or mat, put your HTV design centered on the cozy, then put your Teflon sheet or tea towel on top (to prevent melting of the plastic)
5. Apply gentle pressure if using a heat press, if using an iron, use a lot of pressure (you want your knuckles to go white kind of pressure) for 30 seconds.
6. My HTV is cold peel so once cooled down, peel off the plastic from the vinyl (or if your HTV is a hot peel, do not wait for it to cool off, peel as soon as you’re done). If the vinyl is still stuck to the plastic, you need to repeat step 5.
7. To be sure the vinyl stays on the cozy, cover cozy with Teflon sheet/tea towel, and apply pressure with your iron/heat press for 15-20 seconds. Now you’re all finished! Ta-Da, you can enjoy your new coffee cup cozy!
Check Out What’s the Latest on The Blog by Clicking Here
You may not sell my patterns or claim them as your own. You may make items to sell(i.e. on Etsy, at craft fairs) from my patterns but I ask that you link back to my blog and provide credit for the pattern. You’re welcome to share my patterns on social media so long as you link back directly to my blog post(providing the link). No copy & paste of my patterns will be allowed under any circumstances.